Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bianca Baader Trunk Show March 17


Join us for a Trunk Show with designer Bianca Baader March 17th 11-4pm. She will be bring lots of her amazing creations for kids and adults. Activities too!

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I grew up in Germany and came to the states with my then boyfriend/now husband. Quite a long time ago! I studied a few different things, fashion being one of them but never got a degree in any of the subjects. I worked in the fashion industry in NYC for several years and in Berlin, Germany before coming to Cambridge.

Tell us about what you are selling at Tiny Hanger.
Appliqued onesies and t-shirts as well as some wall hangings. For the trunk show I will also bring some tees, tanks and sweat shirts for adults. For my appliques I use new, vintage and re-purposed fabrics and trimmings and the shirts are 100% cotton and come from American Apparel.

What made you decide to start sewing?
I've sewn for many years, not even sure when exactly I started. As a child growing up in East Germany, where fun fashion was not something you could find easily, I would make outfits with my mom's help. I remember big skirts with round patch pockets tie dyed with very hard to come by clothes dye.

Do you make other things?
I don't have the patience for making complicated things or following a pattern. I used to but lost interest. Everything I make I need to be able to finish that same day. In addition to my tees and wall hangings I mostly make simple skirts for my girls and me.

What inspires you to make your creations/collection?
My two daughters Mila and Edda! They are an endless well of fun and often silly ideas!

How would you describe your style?
The things I make are playful and colorful and often one-of-a-kind. Cute but not kitschy, at least I hope not.

Do you do this full time or in addition to other things?
I decided to be around for my kids a lot while they are still young, so my business is only part-time. Or maybe even "quarter-time".

Any words of advice or inspiration for aspiring designers?
Just go for it! Personally I'm not the super ambitious type. So a lot of the things I do started by someone saying, something like: "Wouldn't it be fun to make ...." Or: "Have you ever done a ...." I need to be pushed and that is something I find hard to do when you are on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment