Monday, July 16, 2012

Designer Interview: Veronica Serrato



Cards by Veronica Serrato

Tiny Hanger is so excited to host cards by Veronica Serrato since our opening last year. Veronica hand-makes cards for numerous occasions such as baby showers and birthdays.  Recent customer favorites are her animal-inspired line that can be used for any occasion.  



Lucia's first quilt
In my pre-boutique life, I worked with Veronica at a local social service agency.  She was always known as the Master Crafter.  She promised a group of us that she could teach us how to make a baby quilt in a day. Well, I did make a baby quilt, but it took longer than a day!  Here is my first quilt I made for my niece.


That quilting group is still meeting more than 8 years later.  Not only has she taught us amazing skills, we are a group of women that get together, get inspired and create on a regular basis.  This quilting group helped inspire me to open Tiny Hanger, as I wanted a place to showcase handmade items that were made by a person, a person with a story, a person with inspiration.


One of Veronica's Happy Birthday cards
Here is a little bit about Veronica.  I do hope you come check out her handmade cards.


Tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am a lawyer by day and training and a crafter by night and desire. I quilt, knit, cross stitch, needlepoint and make cards.  I started quilting in 1988.


Tell us about what you are selling at Tiny Hanger.
I make cards for birthdays, baby showers, new babies and just to send a fun note.


What made you decide to start your line of cards?
Lucia is a long-time friend and fellow crafter.  I wanted to support the Tiny Hanger as a great shop featuring local crafters.  People always tell me I should sell the things I make and this was a great opportunity to try that out.


What inspires your designs?
I see something and think that would make a great card. It might be a ladybug, whale or party hat. I get ideas when driving or standing in line at a store.  My mind is always creating.


What else do you make?
I make quilts and cross stitch frequently.  I do that for family and friends as special gifts.
Veronica's Cathedral Windows quilt



Any words of advice or inspiration for aspiring designers?
I think it is important to do something creative every day.   I have found that my card designs evolve and sometimes aren't what I planned. It has to be a fun process. The end result makes it worthwhile.


We hear that you are a non-profit lawyer, how do you balance that with your cards?
I try to craft at night and on the weekends. As a lawyer, it takes time, sometimes months or years, to see results. Crafting provides immediate gratification for me.

It's a Girl card



No comments:

Post a Comment